Thursday, July 31, 2008
The Potty Post
So I had two main things that I wanted accomplished before Button's arrival at the end of September ~ Liam out of diapers and Liam settled into his new room. Missions accomplished!! Miraculously all of our diligent work paid off. Liam has been wearing underpants round the clock for over 2 weeks with only one overnight accident (and this happened at Mammau's house, so it doesn't really count.)
He had been peeing in the potty from time to time since the beginning of the year. Until this past month he was not telling us when he had to go; therefore, wetting his Pullups often in between our random decisions to make him sit on the potty. Also, except for a few isolated times right around his 2nd birthday, he refused to poop on the potty. People were trying to suggest different things I could use for rewards to try to get him to go #2 on the toilet. But I listened to the books and let him continue to deuce in his diaper without pressuring him to go on the potty which would make him cry. We concentrated on the peeing, eventually just putting him in underpants and letting him wet himself down his leg into a puddle on the floor for 3 days and then something just clicked. He didn't like making his big boy pants wet (and his legs, and his socks and his toys for that matter) so he started making weird faces and holding himself when he had to go often just saying "Mommy!" in an urgent tone. This lasted a few days and we hurried him to the commode each time saying "Hold it! Hold it!" Now he just simply states "I have to pee." and walks to the bathroom. For about one week, I was letting him change into a diaper to poo until that one fateful time when he didn't make it and pooped in his underwear. Something clicked again and he has been pooping on the potty (yes the little one that we have to dump and clean, that's reeeal fun) for well over a week.
I can't even express how much easier my life is now. When you are in the midst of training, you think the day will never come, and then it does and it's glorious. He really is growing up!
Oh yeah, and he's been sleeping in his new room in his big boy bed without any fussing, problems, or query about his old room for about 3 weeks now. So except for washing baby clothes and bedding, putting the crib back together, and buying a couple things we need, we're all ready for the baby. Okay maybe not "ready". Am I really ready to get up every 2-3 hours again? Ummm, no.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey, TAvia - I put a link to your blog on my blog. If you'd rather not have it there, let me know and I will remove it! Sarah
Now that is a super charged congrats! Go momma go...oh yeah and go Liam!
Riley finally used the potty today. Literally it was like something in him just clicked and he used it. I'm not complaining though!
Post a Comment