I got the idea for this post from
AndreAnna who got the idea from
SciFiDad. Obviously no one completely agrees with anyone else on this subject and that is what makes trees so great. Not one is exactly like another.
Tavia's Christmas Tree Rules
1. Only white lights for my tree. I'm not opposed to colored lights, we use them outside, and my childhood tree always had them so they make me a bit nostalgic, but I prefer white lights inside.
2. Popcorn garland must be used each year and should be newly strung each year. I've decorated without it once before and the tree looked naked. This is one of my favorite things to do to get myself into the Christmas season, string popcorn and watch movies.
3. Ornaments should consist of balls and the store bought variety but also childhood school project ornaments. I also love to get a new ornament from wherever we go on vacation each year and to celebrate life events. Reminiscing about my amazing life while decorating is the main reason I even deal with the hassle of the tree annually. I like my tree to tell a story.
4. Even though we have a toddler, an infant and two cats, all ornaments will be spread evenly around the tree. No "breakable ornaments at the top, unbreakable ornaments at the bottom" rule. My son learned early not to touch the tree. Then again, he is a boy and is not instantly drawn to all things glittery and shiny like most girls. We'll see how Keira does.
5. The tree should be real. I love the smell, I love the roundness (fake trees are so skinny), and I love taking the kids to pick one out. These things outweigh the mess, the cost, and the un"green"ness, for now.
6. The color scheme will be red, green, silver, gold and white, and the topper will always be a star. No exceptions.
Our 2007 Tree
Our 2007 Liam. So cute!
What are your Christmas Tree rules?
2 comments:
You know I have plenty of neuroses, and the tree isn't exempt from any of them. I'm totally doing this post sometime between now and Christmas.
I LOVE stringing popcorn. I haven't done it in years. Maybe 5. I figure when Jake is old enough to help I'll do it again.
I am most definately going to copy this post too. It is a good one, but to be honest, until I break out the decor...I won't know what my rules are. I kinda have to be reminded cause my mind is still all mushy.
Post a Comment